INSURANCE FOR YOUR EXPEDITION
It is a compulsory requirement for all team members to have a comprehensive personal insurance policy in place that meets the necessary requirements for the activities and locations included in the expedition. Untamed World, legally, can neither provide insurance advice or confirm whether a given policy is adequate. We have, however, provided a list of specialist insurers who can advise on insurance requirements and policies. Further information about the insurance requirements is outlined in the joining instructions of your chosen expedition. If in any doubt about your purchased or potential policy, contact your supplier directly.
TRAVEL INSURANCE CHECKLIST
Ensure that your insurance covers you for the following:
- Medical cover and emergency repatriation to your home country: cover of at least $500,000.
- Helicopter rescue: many insurance companies will no longer cover for ‘search and rescue’ but providing you stay with the group, they will assist with ‘rescue’.
- All activities that are included with the expedition: trekking at altitude, rafting etc.
- Geographical area: check the country you’re going is included on your policy (e.g. often the USA and Canada are not included on general policies).
- Dates of travel: don’t get caught out by time zones. Make sure the period of cover starts at departure and lasts until you’re back in your home country.
- Pre-existing medical conditions: make sure you disclose these to your insurance company.
- Cancellation or curtailment
- FCO/Foreign Ministry advice: ensure your policy is not sensitive to travel warnings issued by your foreign ministry. FCO advice doesn’t necessarily mean Untamed World will cancel an expedition and many UK insurers won’t provide cover if the FCO advises against travel.
A number of insurance companies have a clause that states that an expedition must be a ‘recognised route’. This is rather subjective and hard to define however if your provider does have this cause we would recommend that you forward them the following information. Ultimately your insurance provider or their underwriter has the final say however we would suggest that Untamed World expeditions are recognised routes for the following reasons:
- The expedition has been researched, developed and planned by a UK-based company and is being lead by qualified Untamed World expedition leaders with a UK based operations room.
- The appropriate local permits, licenses and permissions have been granted so can be considered as being recognised locally.
- There is a comprehensive expedition plan with a fixed start and finish date and full details of the aim, itinerary and a detailed medical and communication plan.
SUGGESTED INSURANCE PROVIDERS
The following is a list of specialist insurance providers that are able to provide detailed advice on appropriate cover for your expedition:
- The British Mountaineering Council: The BMC offer a range of different packages which can be tailored for the relevant activities and locations.
- Campbell Irvine: When relevant Foreign Ministries advise against travel Campbell Irvine may be able to arrange specialist travel insurance cover for you. As a broker it may take a few days to get a quote so we would advise seeking insurance advice as soon as possible where this is the case.
- World Nomads: Another provider with a range of packages which can be tailored for the relevant activities and locations.
- True Traveller: Can also provide insurance policies for non-UK based team members.
Please note that you do not have to use any of the above providers. In all cases you will be required to forward documentary evidence of your policy to Untamed World, including the insurance company’s name, their 24 hour emergency telephone number and your policy number with them.